Friday, January 23, 2009

What are my options?

I don't know about you, but I like to know what my options are. I have on too many occasions been disappointed because I didn't know that I had other options. We looked at three options presented for us in Deuteronomy 29 and I just wanted to focus on one of them.

De 29:18 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood; 19 And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst: 20 The LORD will not spare him, but then the anger of the LORD and his jealousy shall smoke against that man, and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the LORD shall blot out his name from under heaven.

This is the guy that says, "I'll take my chances." This is not a wise option, but this person has been fooled into thinking that he will just do it his way and everything will be O.K. God's Word is given to us so we can live a life of joy, but some look at it as having to spend time in jail. God has said he would bring a curse, but this man says he will bless himself and have peace as I do what I want. That phrase, "Adding drunkenness to thirst" refers to fulfilling the utmost indulgence in all sensual gratification.

Of course verse 20 explains how God feels about this man's lifestyle, and what He is going to do about it. I look at this man and I think about how proud he is, but then when I get a glimpse of myself I can see that man in me. Living for the pleasure of myself is one option that I do have, but the wise option is to live your life in obedience to God and His Word. May God bless each of you as you seek to walk in His will.

1 comment:

Followers